While TikTok can be your ticket to fame, it can strip away your audience and even ban you from using the app if you fail to adhere to its community guidelines and rules. If you have been on TikTok for a while, you have probably heard of users being “shadowbanned.” It is not uncommon for users to suddenly stop receiving likes, views, and traffic on their accounts due to TikTok’s shadowban. Curious about what shadowbanning entails, how to determine if you have been shadowbanned, and how to get unshadowbanned on TikTok? Find out below.
What is TikTok Shadowban?
A “shadowban” is a term that describes an account being banned without the user’s knowledge. In the context of TikTok, a shadowban refers to a restriction that prevents your videos from appearing on the For You page or in hashtag search results. It is a situation where your visibility on the platform is reduced, or you are banned without receiving any notification.
The process of shadowbanning on TikTok is automated and carried out by the platform’s algorithm to protect users from spam, copyright violations, and adult content. You will no longer receive likes, views, or traffic from the For You page when you are shadowbanned. Often, users remain unaware of being shadowbanned until another user who comes across their video points it out.
In the early days of TikTok, shadowbans typically lasted for 24 hours. However, with the latest update to the TikTok algorithm, the duration of shadowbans has increased. Nowadays, a TikTok account can remain shadowbanned for approximately 2 weeks.
During the first week of the shadowban, you will likely experience a decline in your followers and a decrease in views. Additionally, after a few days of being shadowbanned, you can only add tags or create new videos on TikTok if they are set to public.
Reasons of TikTok Shadowban
TikTok has not officially disclosed its methods of shadowbanning. However, it is reasonable to assume that TikTok shadowbans users who create videos that violate its community guidelines.
Videos containing offensive content that may harm people’s sentiments or trigger other users can attract a TikTok shadowban. The visibility of your content may be limited if your account is flagged as spam or if you are posting inappropriate material.
One of the main reasons for a TikTok account to be shadowbanned is engaging in spam-like behavior. Users often engage in a frenzy of liking and following others, hoping for reciprocal likes and followers. TikTok might interpret this behavior as spam and mistake you for a bot. Slow down if you are liking more than 100 posts daily or following more than 50 TikTok accounts in a day.
Posting videos violating TikTok’s rules and community guidelines can result in a shadowban or permanent ban. The following types of content are considered inappropriate by TikTok:
- Hate speech
- Spreading fake news
- Depicting violence
- Drug-related content
- Using copyrighted music without permission
TikTok is dedicated to creating an inclusive and safe platform. If you have experienced a decline in views or engagement, it is worth reassessing the content you have been posting.
How Can You Find Out That You Got Shadowbanned?
The TikTok app does not provide explicit notification if you have been shadowbanned. However, certain signs indicate a shadowban. If you are shadowbanned, your videos will not appear on the TikTok “For You” page or in hashtag searches.
During a TikTok shadowban, the following effects can be observed:
- Your videos and content will not be visible in search results.
- Your videos will not be visible on the feed.
- You will not gain new followers.
- Your videos will not receive likes from others.
- Your videos will not receive comments from others.
How to Get Unshadowbanned on TikTok?
If you’re wondering how to get unshadowbanned on TikTok, here are some steps you can take to remove the shadowban:
- Uninstall and install TikTok. Start by deleting your recent video. If that doesn’t work, try uninstalling and reinstalling the TikTok app. Sometimes, a simple app update can restore functionality.
- Switch to a Pro account. One common tip is to go into your TikTok account settings and switch to a Pro Account. This allows you to access post analytics and gain insights into how people engage with your videos. Monitoring your engagement can help you gauge the impact of the shadowban.
- Delete offensive content. Remove content that violates TikTok’s rules and community guidelines. Periodically refresh your device to check if the ban has been lifted. After deleting it, you’ll need to wait at least two weeks for the shadowban to be lifted.
- Take a break from TikTok. After deleting offensive content, clear the app cache, ensure it’s up to date, and take a break from using TikTok for a few days. Returning to the platform after cleaning up your account and taking a break may increase your chances of being unshadowbanned.
- Post original, innovative content. When you resume posting, avoid behaviors that could lead to another shadowban. Your account has already been flagged, so being more cautious is essential. Focus on sharing original and innovative content. Brainstorm ideas with your team and aim for uniqueness to avoid copyright infringement.
- Understand your audience. TikTok has many young users, and you must maintain a healthy environment. Avoid sexualized themes, nudity, pornography, and suggestive content in your videos. Posting such content can lead to serious consequences, including a TikTok shadowban.
This is how to get unshadowbanned on TikTok. While gaining fame and going viral on the platform may appear simple, it’s crucial to use it responsibly. Creating content that adheres to TikTok’s community guidelines and focusing on posting entertaining content that connects with your audience is advisable.
Content Marketing Platform
- 100,000+ media publications;
- get backlinks to your product;
- scale work with content distribution.
FAQ TikTok Shadowban
How long does shadowban last on TikTok?
The duration of a shadowban on TikTok can vary. TikTok does not publicly disclose the specific length of time a shadowban may last. However, there are a few steps you can take to potentially resolve a shadowban on TikTok.
It’s important to note that the duration of a shadowban can vary depending on the severity of the violation and TikTok’s evaluation of your account. In some cases, a shadowban may last for a few days, while in others, it might be longer. There’s a mention of a TikTok creator experiencing a longer-lasting shadowban, indicating that some users have reported extended durations.
To avoid being shadowbanned on TikTok, make sure to adhere to the platform’s community guidelines, engage in authentic and non-violative behavior, and avoid violating any of TikTok’s policies.
How to get rid of shadowban on TikTok?
To potentially get rid of a shadowban on TikTok, you can review and adhere to TikTok’s community guidelines, delete or edit violating content, take a break from posting, engage authentically with the TikTok community, and contact TikTok support for assistance.
What is a shadowban on TikTok?
A shadowban on TikTok refers to a situation where a user’s content is hidden or de-prioritized by the platform’s algorithm without any explicit notification or explanation. It essentially limits the visibility and reach of the user’s posts, making them less discoverable to other TikTok users. This can result in decreased engagement, reduced views, and limited exposure for the affected account. The purpose of a shadowban is to discourage or penalize users who may have violated TikTok’s community guidelines or terms of service. It aims to maintain a positive and safe environment on the platform by reducing the visibility of content that may be deemed inappropriate or against TikTok’s rules.
What causes shadowban on TikTok?
A shadowban on TikTok can be caused by various factors, including violating community guidelines, engaging in spam-like behavior, posting misleading information, or infringing upon copyrights.