Social media marketing is a branch of online advertising that uses the power of platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube, among others, to promote a product, service, or advocacy. It may be daunting to think about where you should start with your campaign. Nonetheless, you should begin with small steps today that will push you toward the fruitful results you want in the future.
Here are some tips on how to start your social media marketing campaign:
1. Identify the Sites You Should Use
Since you’re still at the beginning stages of your social media campaign, it’s best to select just one or two platforms that you will use to boost awareness for your brand. This way, you can build your subscribers’ list on those channels first. Concentrating on a few sites gives you practical knowledge on how these types of sites work and how you can improve your strategies.
These are the popular social media sites today:
- Facebook – Facebook is one of the top websites to get started on your social media marketing campaign since almost all consumers have an account on the platform. Older customers are more active in this channel than younger ones.
- Twitter – The microblogging site is unique since it’s where news outlets and other entities provide real-time updates while allowing users to share their opinions freely. This may be why most millennials prefer this platform over others. The hashtags feature also makes it easy to find particular topics that can help boost your site’s search engine optimization or SEO. Click here to learn how to rank your website.
- Instagram – It’s the platform of choice by younger audiences. The photo-sharing app has allowed brands to reach teens. Instagram’s Stories feature is an excellent tool to promote your products and services.
- YouTube – YouTube, similar to Facebook, caters to a more diverse age group. Create compelling video content to boost awareness for your brand.
2. Optimize Your Profiles
Consistency is the key to establishing your brand’s credibility on social media. If you’re planning to create profiles on two platforms, make sure that your company name, logo, and website are prominently displayed on both channels. If applicable, you can also put a brief description of your company and include your contact info.
Other guidelines to remember for optimizing your social media profiles:
Use your company logo as your profile picture so that people will immediately associate it with your brand once they see your thumbnail.
Let potential followers know what kind of information they can expect from you aside from your products and services. If you’re in the health insurance industry, you could post news on the topic or fitness-related articles.
Always incorporate a link to your site wherever possible to enhance its visibility to your subscribers. But first, make sure that every aspect is in perfect shape before launching your website and connecting your social media profiles.
3. Incorporate Social Media Follow Buttons on Your Site
Make it easy for potential customers to get first-hand knowledge on your updates by including social media follow buttons on your website. It plays a significant role in boosting the number of shares for your content and increasing your follower count. It also improves user experience since you’re making it more accessible for them to reach out to you and provide feedback on your products and services.
4. Understand How Hashtags Can Help You
As mentioned above, social media users utilize hashtags to include their posts or tweet in a particular category so that other people can view them when they search for that subject matter. To know which tags to use, you can take a look at the profiles of key influencers in your niche and note down the general hashtags that they employ. You can then include those for relevant topics that you publish. You can also create your own hashtag with your brand name.
Here are a few tips on how to craft the perfect hashtag:
- Use capital letters for each word to clarify what the tag is about since you can’t use spaces for hashtags.
- Try using common words first to improve searchability.
- Keep it short and concise because a long one will eat up your character limit on Twitter.
Social media can significantly broaden your online reach. You must identify which platforms your target audience prefers such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube, then meet them there to share with them your message. Take note of each channel’s features and evaluate how these can help your campaign.